the former capital of Pakistan, is located on an arm of the Arabian Sea northwest of the Indus delta. It is a trade and distribution center and the principal seaport of Pakistan. Karachi was founded in the 18th Century and was captured by the British in 1843. A steam tramway was opened to the port on April 20, 1885, and was replacedwith a horse tramway a year later. In 1909 the horse trams were replaced with distinctive-looking petrol cars. There were 64 of these in service in 1955 when the company celebrated its 70th Anniversary. The petrol trams continued in service until April 30, 1975.
RETURN TO INDEX