a commercial city at the tip of a peninsula extending into Peter the Great Bay, is Russia's principal Pacific seaport and the main base of the Russian Pacific Fleet. The city was founded in 1860 and became the terminus of the Trans-Siberian Railroad in 1908. A meter-gauge electric tramway opened in 1912; it was allegedly converted to 1435 mm gauge in 1934. This postcard, published ca. 1920 when Japan invaded eastern Siberia, shows the arrival of the Allied troops who were aiding the White Russians in their war against the Communists. The tram system has been expanded over the years and is still in operation today. There are trams in two other cities in Russia's Far East: Khabarovsk and Komsomolsk.